Historic Renovations

  • (top)
    Athens Theater
    historicathens01.jpg
    historicathens02.jpg
    athens marquee.JPG
    AthensConstruction.jpg
    athens_theatre.JPG
    BalconyDrapes.jpg
    AthensRenovation01.jpg
    athens.jpg
     
    Historical Renovations

    Deland, FL

    Architect: R.J. Heisenbottle Architects, PA
    General contractor: E.C. Kenyon Construction Co, Inc.
    Orchestra pit lift contractor: InterAmerica Stage, Inc.
    Stage Rigging contractor: InterAmerica Stage, Inc.
    Drapery manufacturer: InterAmerica Stage, Inc.

    This historic theater was designed in 1921 by Orlando architect Murry S. King and first opened its doors on January 6th, 1922. The theater's name was derived from the vision of DeLand's founder, Henry DeLand, who sought to create a city that would be the “Athens of Florida”.

    Originally a vaudeville house and silent movie palace, the Athens Theatre featured live stage shows by touring performers, as well as films of the day that were often accompanied by the theater's Wurlitzer Pipe Organ. The building was used for any number of ventures including community theatre, dinner theatre, video game room, pizza and beer movie house. It was closed in the early 1990’s. In 1993 The Mainstreet Deland Association started the effort to restore the theatre to its original beauty.

    Ownership was transferred July, 2004 to Sands Theater Center, Inc. Since then, the Athens theater has been undergoing a major renovation. Virtually no part of the theater remained untouched. The Theatre re-opened its doors in January 2009 to what feels like a brand new theatre.

    IAstage donated the main curtain, main valance and the auditorium booth draperies. There are plans to someday soon install an orchestra pit lift. Mark Black of InterAmerica Stage says, "Volusia county is home to many of us at IAstage, this venue is very special to us. We crawled around in the attic with flashlights over 10 years ago when the notion of renovating the space was in its infancy. We are proud to have been a part of this."

    Visit the website of Athens Theatre

    historicathens01.jpg
    historicathens02.jpg
    athens marquee.JPG
    AthensConstruction.jpg
    athens_theatre.JPG
    BalconyDrapes.jpg
    AthensRenovation01.jpg
    athens.jpg

  • (top)
    Sunrise Theatre
    sunrise01.jpg
    sunrise02.jpg
    sunrise03.jpg
     
    Historical Renovations

    Fort Pierce, FL

    Architect: Deborah L. Nichols, AIA
    Consulting Architect: Killis Almond, AIA
    General contractor: Conklin & Luis Construction, W. Palm Beach, FL
    Stage Rigging Contractor: InterAmerica Stage, Inc.
    Drapery Manufacturer: InterAmerica Stage, Inc.
    Lighting Contractor: Murphy Lighting

    The Sunrise Theatre opened its doors on August 1, 1923. It is located in the heart of historic downtown Fort Pierce and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

    In 1997, the Sunrise Theatre was purchased by the St. Lucie Preservation Association, Inc. Renovations began in 2002 and the theatre reopened in January of 2006. Today the theatre has been completely renovated and is being used as a performing arts center. It is acclaimed to be the cultural center of St Lucie County.

    InterAmerica Stage, Inc. played a major role in the renovation process providing all stage machinery systems including motorized hoists, controls, counterweight rigging, draperies and track. At the rear of the auditorium there are acoustic draperies on tracks that are also used to divide the audience chamber from the foyer.

    Watch a video footage on the Sunrise Theatre

    A panoramic view of the theatre

    Visit the website of Sunrise Theatre

    sunrise01.jpg
    sunrise02.jpg
    sunrise03.jpg

  • (top)
    The Historic Cocoa Village Playhouse
    cocoa01.jpg
    cocoa02.jpg
    cocoa03.jpg
    cocoa04.jpg
    cocoa village playhouse drapes.jpg
     
    Historical Renovations

    Cocoa, FL

    Renovation Architect: Rood & Zwick, Inc.
    Theatre Equipment Contractor: InterAmerica Stage, Inc.
    Structural Engineer: TLC Engineering for Architecture

    On August 18, 1924, Cocoa's first "talkie" movie house opened as the Aladdin Theatre and became known as the "showplace of the Indian River Section". Several owners and several decades later, the building was purchased by the City of Cocoa and renamed. The Historic Cocoa Village Playhouse was entered into the National Register of Historic Places in 1991 and now serves as one of Brevard Community College’s performing arts facilities.

    In 2002, InterAmerica Stage, Inc. was contracted to provide a new stage rigging system, including all required structural additions and reinforcements. TLC engineering was engaged by IAstage to provide the engineering services. A new operating gallery and loading bridge along with grid and head steel additions were required to install a counterweight fly system. IAstage also provided rigging for the FOH lighting trusses. IAstage constructed the main drape to resemble a Contour or Austrian curtain but it functions as a guillotine, saving on maintenance and fabrication costs while preserving the theatres historic beauty. The curtain was designed and manufactured by IAstage at their shop in Sanford, FL.

    The Cocoa Village Playhouse is one of several venues where IAstage purchases season tickets for employees.

    Visit the website of The Historic Cocoa Village Playhouse

    cocoa01.jpg
    cocoa02.jpg
    cocoa03.jpg
    cocoa04.jpg
    cocoa village playhouse drapes.jpg

  • (top)
    Colony Theatre
    colonyhis01.jpg
    colonyhis02.jpg
    colonyhis03.jpg
     
    Historical Renovations

    Miami Beach, FL

    Renovation Architect: R.J. Heisenbottle & Associates
    Consultant: TSG
    General Contractor: McCartney Construction, Davie, FL
    Stage Rigging Contractor: InterAmerica Stage, Inc.
    Drapery Manufacturer: InterAmerica Stage, Inc.

    The Colony Theatre opened in 1934 on Lincoln Road in Miami Beach. Built for the Paramount chain is one of the city’s most well-known examples of the Art Deco style. The Colony was renovated in 1976 after serving as a movie house for many years. Recently the theatres stage equipment was upgraded, enabling the theatre to hosts a wide variety of arts including concerts, dance, opera, comedy acts and film festivals.

    InterAmerica Stage, Inc. took part in the demolition of the old stage equipment and furnished the theatre with a new counterweight fly system, pin rail, fire safety curtain, motorized rigging, controls, draperies and track.

    colonyhis01.jpg
    colonyhis02.jpg
    colonyhis03.jpg

  • (top)
    Gusman Center for the Performing Arts
    historicgusman01.jpg
    historicgusman02.jpg
     
    Historical Renovations

    Miami, FL

    Consultant: MTB, InterAmerica Stage, Inc.
    Stage Rigging Contractor: InterAmerica Stage, Inc.
    Theatre Equipment Contractor: InterAmerica Stage, Inc.

    Designed by John Eberson, the former Olympia Theatre opened in 1926 as a silent movie palace. Not only was it one of the first atmospheric theatres with a twinkling night sky and drifting clouds, it was also the first air-conditioned building in the south. The Olympia is one of the few buildings designed by Eberson that are still standing.

    In 1970, Maurice Gusman purchased the Olympia Theatre for the Miami Philharmonic Orchestra and in 1975,donated the theatre to the city of Miami.

    After an extensive renovation, it is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places. In 1992, after being awarded an inspection and repair contract for the Gusman Center, InterAmerica Stage, Inc. provided rigging hardware upgrades, control system repairs and installed a new orchestra shell ceiling hoist and controls. The theatre recently underwent additional renovations led by Architect R.J Heisenbottle & Associates. A new auditorium lighting bridge and other improvements were achieved. The Miami International Film Festival is hosted by the Gusman Center every year.

    Visit the website of the Gusman Center for the Permoring Arts

    historicgusman01.jpg
    historicgusman02.jpg

  • (top)
    Polk Theatre
    historicpolk01.jpg
    historicpolk02.jpg
    historicpolk03.jpg
    historicpolk04.jpg
    historicpolk05.jpg
    historicpolk06.jpg
    historicpolk07.jpg
    historicpolk08.jpg
    historicpolk09.jpg
     
    Historical Renovations

    Lakeland, FL

    Consultant: MTB
    Structual Engineer; R.L Plowfield and Associates

    Designed by the architect, J.E. Casale, the Polk Theatre opened in December of 1928 as a vaudeville/movie palace. It was a Mediterranean village in the heart of Central Florida, featuring ornate detail and a beautiful a. The Polk Theatre served as Lakeland’s outlet for Hollywood’s finest films. Even after the golden years and the rise of television, it managed to survive. In the early 80s, a group of concerned citizens formed a non-profit group to save the theatre from the fate of many other movie palaces. Due to their efforts the theatre under went a major restoration which was completed in 1999.

    InterAmerica Stage, Inc. was contracted to provide a comprehensive inspection of the existing stage equipment, stage tower roof structure and an analysis of the theatre’s production program. The study revealed a need for structural enhancements and replacement of the existing spot line and sandbag “hemp house” style rigging. Additional head steel and roof framing steel was installed to accommodate a full counterweight fly system. “The theatre is like a museum” says Mark Black, president of IAstage. “There are artifacts of stage and film equipment throughout the building.” The theatres board of directors is dedicated to preserving these items as part of the theatre’s heritage.

    Visit the site of Polk Theatre

    historicpolk01.jpg
    historicpolk02.jpg
    historicpolk03.jpg
    historicpolk04.jpg
    historicpolk05.jpg
    historicpolk06.jpg
    historicpolk07.jpg
    historicpolk08.jpg
    historicpolk09.jpg

  • (top)
    Actors' Playhouse at the Miracle Theatre
    photoshoped 2588MiracleTheatreV478.jpg
    miracle theatre.jpg
    miracle mile set under grid.JPG
     
    Historical Renovations

    Coral Gables, FL

    Architect:
    Consultant:
    Stage Rigging Contractor: IAstage

    The Miracle Theater opened in 1948 as a neighborhood movie house. It seated 1600 people. The architect was Willam H. Lee.
    The City of Coral Gables purchased the historic movie house and, in 1990, the Miracle Theater began renovations to become a performing arts center while retaining the original Art Modern interior.
    The theatre is the home of the Actor’s Playhouse Theatre Company. The center provides three performance spaces. The 600-seat mainstage auditorium was completed in 1995 and a 300-seat second stage was completed in 1998. The third space is a multipurpose/ black box studio.
    In 1995 InterAmerica Stage, Inc. installed new stage rigging and a FOH lighting bar. Artistic director David Arisco later desired superior lighting positions for the auditorium. In the late 90’s a full structural front of house catwalk and side lighting positions were manufactured and installed by IAstage.
    The unique 300 seat performance space was created by closing off the balcony, using a portion of the original seating riser, walling off the balcony rail to the main auditorium. The outcome is a fabulous and intimate performance space. Technical manager Gene Seyfer labored over how to provide lighting positions for the unique space. Mark Black from IAstage was contacted to assist in the design of the planned lighting catwalks for the challenging space.
    “Sometime during the numerous planning discussions a light bulb went off” says Black. “How about a tension wire grid?” Well, the rest is history, a wire grid was installed giving the flexibility for creative lighting design while offering a safe means of access to the lights for the stage technicians. The grid system proved to be such a success, a second tension grid system was installed over the main stage.

    Visit the website of the Actor's Playhouse at the Miralce Mile

    photoshoped 2588MiracleTheatreV478.jpg
    miracle theatre.jpg
    miracle mile set under grid.JPG

  • (top)
    Falk Theatre
    falk.jpg
    falk01.jpg
    falk02.jpg
     
    Historical Renovations

    University of Tampa, Tampa, FL

    Structural Engineer: David Pearce, Winslow Pearce and Associates
    Structural contractor: InterAmerica Stage, Inc.
    Rigging contractor: InterAmerica Stage, Inc.

    Falk Theater, located on the south side of the Kennedy Boulevard campus perimeter, is the primary venue for the performing arts for the University of Tampa. This Proscenium theatre can seat 835 for recitals and theatrical productions. The space is also used for classroom instruction in speech and theater courses. The Falk Theatre has become a fully functioning venue for the students to have the opportunity to provide professional productions for their patrons, with a theatre that rivals the best in the Florida state university system.

    InterAmerica Stage, Inc. is currently working with the Falk Theater in their renovation process. Three areas of work have been undertaken by IAstage which include:
    • Structural renovations and reinforcement of the grid iron, Loading bridge and head steel.
    • Demolition of existing rigging and replacement with new counterweight fly system.
    • Front of house / Pro-Proscenium grid.

    falk.jpg
    falk01.jpg
    falk02.jpg